There are some massive changes going on at Google at the moment, changes that you may or may not be aware of. These are what I believe are some of the most important aspects:
- They are moving towards a Geographical search for certain key phrases – this is where people in different areas of the country will see different results, with more localised websites being featured highly.
- Having a wide variety of key phrases for the one way links that you obtain seems essential as they have introduced an over optimisation penalty. This is where the rankings will fall, sometimes quite significantly, if they feel that you are over focusing on only a small number of phrases. Deep linking instead of pointing all of the links to the homepage, or only one or two inner pages, is now a must.
- Keyword stuffing. This is where the same key phrases/s appear over and over again on a page - this is very much a NO NO.
- Adding new and unique content to the website on a regular basis is probably the most important aspect of all of the
new requirements as Google will seemingly now be rewarding high quality content in a much bigger way. By producing this quality content will, or at least should, ensure that your website gains the all important natural links.
One of the best ways of producing this unique content is via a blog. It is worthwhile pointing a link from each blog post
back to one of the pages of the main website; however please make these different pages and not just the homepage.
I am fully aware that to keep producing this unique content can be somewhat of a challenge to many of the readers
of this blog. Time is very much an issue for many people and we’re here to help you, if required.
- Having any duplicate content on a website can have some serious negative effects on the overall ranking
of the website.
As search marketing consultants we’re still attempting to learn more about what is now required and I will keep you updated with any important new information that I find.In a way the above list is what I am sure many of you have already been following and they all make a lot of sense
in reality. Webmasters need to try to focus on the overall traffic levels of their website rather than purely focusing
on the rankings of five or so key phrases. Remember to bookmark our blog and following @SignatureWeb on twitter
if you what to keep ahead of the curve.